Exam time can be stressful no matter what age you are at. It is not uncommon, AND it can be managed.
What you can do:
- Understand yourself and know your limits. Target setting early in the year can give you that clarity.
- Ensure that you have all the resources you need to prepare for the exam. A little bit of planning in this would hold you in good stead.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Most critical. Your mind needs to assimilate all that you have filled in it. Same way as body takes time to digest and assimilate the food that you have eaten.
- Healthy food to fuel your body. Eat well and eat regular small meals.
- Stay hydrated. Drink water when studying and before taking an exam. It will pep you up.
- Take short breaks. Move around a bit, even if it is to fill your water bottle. That helps in moving oxygen to all the cells of your body leading to release of energy. Sit for long duration and blood supply to all cells in the body becomes lethargic.
- Talk to a friend or family. Yes! But keep it short.
- Practice deep breathing. It is calming, helps in concentration, releases stress. All of it only because you have filled your lungs and supplied your body with a load of oxygen.
- Banish negative thoughts. After all it is only an exam!
- . Never hesitate to seek professional help if you think you need it.
- . Support your friend and encourage them to seek help if you think they need it.
“The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible” – Albert Einstein